As I had a carrot, some beetroot, an orange and some mushrooms, I thought I could do these recipes again.
I made some Vegan Smoked Salmon to go with the leftover flatbread of yesterdays curry. I toasted it, spread the last of the cream cheese, topped it with then whole grain mustard, then the 'salmon' and a drizzle of oil and lemon.
With the beetroot I made Beetroot and orange soup
The mushrooms I turned into the mushroom gougère, just like Sayaka did in November.
GOATS’ CHEESE & WALNUT GOUGÈRES:
- A very simple mixture of goats’ cheese, crushed walnuts, finely chopped pears and seasoning gets spooned into the split (and cooled) pastry choux: the juicy crunch of the pear works well with the flavour of the cheese. Blue cheese also works excellently here.
½ red onion finely chopped
300g mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 garlic cloves, chopped
½ teaspoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon dry sherry
100g crème fraîche
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- In a large frying pan heat the oil and fry the onion until soft but not coloured.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cook over a high heat, stirring often, until the mushrooms are reduced in volume by about half, are buttery and soft and their liquid has evaporated.
- Add the sherry and crème fraîche and simmer until the sauce has reduced. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Cut each choux bun fully in half, fill with the warm mushroom mixture and serve.