We went to the allotment where we harvested, a beautiful broccoli head, spinach beet and tomatoes and mint.
We will be preparing the mint in such a way that we strip all but the top set of leaves. Those leaves were chopped for the couscous but the stems with the few leaves on top will be put in water to start rooting and become another plant for next year.
The Halloumi Couscous and Broccoli dish went down a treat.
With the broccoli stems, spinach beet and marrow chunks (left from a large Marrow that we started using at the beginning of the week) we made a delicious soup topped with crumbled feta cheese and a delightful blue borage flower
extra virgin olive oil
A small onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups broccoli stems, chopped
4 cups spinach beet or chard chopped
4 cups courgettes chopped
Gorgonzola dolce (optional)
1 litre vegetable stock
Borage flowers for garnish, if desired
Feta Cheese for garnish, if desired
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to a large pot.
- Add in onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Toss in broccoli and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Simmer until broccoli , spinach and courgettes are tender.
- Take off of the heat and stir in Gorgonzola (optional) salt and pepper.
- Cool soup slightly and puree with hand blender.
- Pour soup into bowls and serve immediately.
- Garnish with crumbled feta cheese and a Borage flower or chives.
Tried and tested by June, Lucy, Ana, Angeles, Sue and Karina