|Rhubarb flowers to cheer up the room|
A three course meal for 9 people in 2 hours, not bad for a Monday morning activity.
I have to confess that because the horrible cold and windy day, I went out to pick the food yesterday evening.
For starters we made a spinach soup.
June and Asako cut the spinach and wilted it in some salted water,
They then added a chopped onion, some rosemary and a minced garlic clove.
They then added a vegetable stock to cover the greens and let it simmer until cooked.
At this point we added some cornflour to thicken the soup a little. Then added some milk to bulk it out.
We served this soup with a swirl of double cream, a little gorgonzola and to please the eye as well as the stomach some chives and lambs lettuce flowers.
For the Pizza I picked the Dandelion leaves and some spinach beet to bulk it up.
|Dandelion, spinach beet, red onion, garlic and smoked courgettes|
For a quick and easy non yeast pizza base I used the following ingredients:
2 cups of self raising flour
2 tbsp of yoghurt
1 tsp of baking powder
a little salt
cold water to mix.
coarse semolina to sprinkle on your work surface to roll out the dough
Mix all together and let rest in the fridge for 30 mins. Then roll out thinly and cut in a circle that fits into a frying pan. Put some oil in the frying pan, put in the dough and fry on both sides until done.
(about 4 minutes)
This pizza is based on The Italian Food Forever recipe but changed it a little
For the topping:
- 1 Bunch Dandelion Greens (Or About 8 Cups Chopped Into 2 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Large Red Onion, Peeled And Thinly Sliced
- 2 Large Cloves Garlic, Peeled And Minced
- 6 Slices Prosciutto, Finely Chopped or (in our case smoked zucchini finely chopped)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Sliced Fontina Cheese (or in our case some feta)
- Rhubarb, almond and ginger crumble from Delia online
|Rhubarb crumble ingredients|
- In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil and once hot add the onion slices.
- Continue to cook the onions over medium heat until they are very soft and caramelized, then add the garlic and prosciutto, and stir to mix well.
- Add the dandelion greens and stir to mix well.
- Continue to cook until the dandelions are soft and wilted.
- Season with the cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Divide the topping in half and spread over the dough circles leaving a 1 1/2 inch edge all around.
- Scatter the cheese slices on top of the pizzas and put under the grill until the cheese is melted. about 5 minutes.
- Serve either warm or at room temperature.
|sowing squashes and purple sprouting broccoli|
It was a very happy group yesterday and the menu was delicious. I made a rhubarb crumble for supper last night. Lovely fresh rhubarb so unlike the stuff I buy on the market which is so limp! Delicious!
See you soon.
I made rhubarb crumble straight after the session with Yumi and it was very delicious. Thank you very much for giving us fresh rhubarb.ReplyDelete
My children ate all the rhubarb crumble. They liked it. I will make all the menu again because they were so tasty.